Kefar Saba – Old and New
There was an old tree in Kefar Saba that was avoided by kohanim because there was a tradition that there was a human buried in the surroundings. Searches for a grave proved to be futile but one day a strong wind uprooted the tree and below it was found a human skull.
The land upon which modern Kefar Saba was built was purchased from Arabs in 1898. In the War of Independence it was the site of fierce battles which caused the Arab residents of the surrounding area to flee, enabling Kefar Saba to increase in size. Until the Six Day War in 1967 the city was only three kilometers from the Jordanian border and suffered from attacks from Arab infiltration. The Israeli victory in that war endowed the city with security.