For the week ending 16 November 2002 / 11 Kislev 5763
- When Yaakov traveled to Charan, the Torah stresses that he departed from Beer Sheva. Why?
- On the night of his dream, Yaakov did something he hadnt done in 14 years. What?
- G-d compressed the entire Land of Israel underneath the sleeping Yaakov. What did this symbolize?
- Yaakov said "I will return with shalom." What did he mean by "shalom"?
- Why did Yaakov rebuke the shepherds?
- Why did Rachel, and not her brothers, tend her fathers sheep?
- Why did Yaakov cry when he met Rachel?
- Why did Lavan run to greet Yaakov?
- Why were Leahs eyes tender?
- How old was Yaakov when he married?
- What did Rachel find enviable about Leah?
- Who was Yaakovs fifth son?
- Who was Leahs handmaiden? Was she older or younger than Rachels handmaiden?
- How do you say dudaim in Arabic?
- "Hashem remembered Rachel" (30:22). What did He remember?
- What does "Yosef" mean? Why was he named that?
- G-d forbade Lavan to speak to Yaakov "either of good or of bad." Why didnt G-d want Lavan to speak of good?
- Where are there two Aramaic words in this weeks Parsha?
- Who was Bilhahs father? Who was Zilpahs father?
- Who escorted Yaakov into Eretz Yisrael?
- 28:10 - The departure of a righteous person leaves a noticeable void in that place.
- 28:11 - Sleep at night lying down.
- 28:13 - That the Land would be easy for his descendants to conquer.
- 28:21 - Completely without sin.
- 29:7 - He thought they were loafing, stopping work early in the day.
- 30:27 - Her brothers werent born yet.
- 29:11 - He saw prophetically that they would not be buried together; or because he was penniless.
- 29:13 - He thought Yaakov was carrying money.
- 29:17 - She cried continually because she thought she was destined to marry Esav.
- 29:21 - Eighty-four.
- 30:1 - Her good deeds, thinking they were the reason Leah merited children.
- 30:5 - Dan.
- 30:10 - Zilpah. She was younger.
- 30:14 - Jasmine (Yasmin).
- 30:22 - That Rachel gave Leah the "signs of recognition" that Yaakov had taught her, so that Leah wouldnt be embarrassed.
- 30:24 "Yosef" means "He will add." Rachel asked G-d for another son in addition to Yosef.
- 31:24 - Because the "good" that comes from wicked people is bad for the righteous.
- 31:41 - Yagar Sahaduta, meaning "wall of testimony."
- 19.31:50 - Lavan.
- 32:1 - The angels of Eretz Yisrael.
All references are to the verses and Rashis commentary, unless otherwise stated.